Penetration Testing tools help in identifying security weaknesses in a network, server or web application. These tools are very useful since they allow you to identify the “unknown vulnerabilities” in the software and networking applications that can cause a security breach.
Here is a list of top 10 Penetration Testing Tools
Netsparker is an easy to use web application security scanner that can automatically find SQL Injection, XSS and other vulnerabilities in your web applications and web services. It is available as on-premises and SAAS solution.
- Dead accurate vulnerability detection with the unique Proof-Based Scanning Technology.
- Minimal configuration required. Scanner automatically detects URL rewrite rules, custom 404 error pages.
- REST API for seamless integration with the SDLC, bug tracking systems etc.
- Fully scalable solution. Scan 1,000 web applications in just 24 hours.
- Scans for all variants of SQL Injection, XSS, and 4500+ additional vulnerabilities
- Detects over 1200 WordPress core, theme, and plugin vulnerabilities
- Fast & Scalable – crawls hundreds of thousands of pages without interruptions
- Integrates with popular WAFs and Issue Trackers to aid in the SDLC
- Available On Premises and as a Cloud solution.
Probe.ly continuously scans for vulnerabilities in your Web Applications. It allows its customers to manage the life cycle of vulnerabilities and provides them with some guidance on how to fix them. Probe.ly is a security tool built having Developers in mind.
- Scans for SQL Injections, XSS, OWASP TOP10 and over 5000 vulnerabilities, including 1000 WordPress and Joomla vulnerabilities
- Full API – All features of Probely are also available through an API
- Integration with your CI tools, Slack and Jira
- Unlimited team members
- PDF Reports to showcase your security
- Diverse scanning profiles (ranging from safe to aggressive scans)
- Multiple Environment Targets – Production (non-intrusive scans) and Testing (intrusive and complete scans)
The Open Web Application Security Project OWASP is a worldwide non-profit organization focused on improving the security of software. The project has multiple tools to pen test various software environments and protocols. The OWASP testing guide gives “best practice” to penetration test the most common web application
Flagship tools of the project include:
- Zed Attack Proxy(ZAP – an integrated penetration testing tool)
- OWASP Dependency Check(it scans for project dependencies and checks against know vulnerabilities)
- OWASP Web Testing Environment Project (collection of security tools and documentation)
Wireshark is a network analysis tool previously known as Ethereal. It captures packet in real time and display them in human readable format. Basically, it is a network packet analyzer- which provides the minute details about your network protocols, decryption, packet information, etc. It is an open source and can be used on Linux, Windows, OS X, Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD and many other systems. The information that is retrieved via this tool can be viewed through a GUI or the TTY mode TShark Utility.
WireShark features include
- Live capture and offline analysis
- Rich VoIP analysis
- Capture files compressed with gzip can be decompressed on the fly
- Output can be exported to XML, PostScript, CSV or plain text
- Multi-platform: Runs on windows, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and many others
- Live data can be read from internet, PPP/HDLC, ATM, Blue-tooth, USB, Token Ring, etc.
- Decryption support for many protocols that include IPsec, ISAKMP, SSL/TLS,WEP, and WPA/WPA2
- For quick intuitive analysis, coloring rules can be applied to the packet
- Read/Write many different capture file formats
w3af is a web application attack and audit framework. It has three types of plugins; discovery, audit and attack that communicate with each other for any vulnerabilities in site, for example a discovery plugin in w3af looks for different url’s to test for vulnerabilities and forward it to the audit plugin which then uses these URL’s to search for vulnerabilities.
It can also be configured to run as a MITM proxy. The request intercepted could be sent to the request generator and then manual web application testing can be performed using variable parameters. It also has features to exploit the vulnerabilities that it finds.
- Proxy support
- HTTP response cache
- DNS cache
- File uploading using multipart
- Cookie handling
- HTTP basic and digest authentication
- User agent faking
- Add custom headers to requests
Metaspoilt is the most popular and advanced Framework that can be used for pentest. It is an open source tool based on the concept of ‘exploit’ which means you pass a code that breach the security measures and enter a certain system. If entered, it runs a ‘payload’, a code that performs operations on a target machine, thus creating the perfect framework for penetration testing. It is a great testing tool test whether the IDS is successful in preventing the attacks that we bypass it
Metaspoilt can be used on networks, applications, servers, etc. It has a command line and GUI clickable interface, works on Apple Mac OS X, works on Linux and Microsoft Windows.
Features of Metaspoilt
- Basic command line interface
- Third party import
- Manual brute forcing
- Manual brute forcing
- website penetration testing
Kali works only on Linux Machines. It enables you to create a backup and recovery schedule that fit your needs. It promotes a quick and easy way to find and update the largest database of security penetration testing collection to-date. It is the best tools available for packet sniffing and injecting. An expertise in TCP/IP protocol and networking can be beneficial while using this tool.
- Addition of 64 bit support allows brute force password cracking
- Back Track comes with pre-loaded tools for LAN and WLAN sniffing, vulnerability scanning, password cracking, and digital forensics
- Backtrack integrates with some best tools like Metaspoilt and Wireshark
- Besides network tool, it also includes pidgin, xmms, Mozilla, k3b, etc.
- Back track support KDE and Gnome.
The Samurai Web Testing Framework is a penetration testing software. It is supported on VirtualBox and VMWare that has been pre-configured to function as a web pen-testing environment.
- It is open source, free to use tool
- It contains the best of the open source and free tools that focus on testing and attacking website
- It also includes a pre-configured wiki to set up the central information store during the pen-test
Aircrack is one of the handy tool required in wireless pen testing. It cracks vulnerable wireless connections. It is powered by WEP WPA and WPA 2 encryption Keys.
- More cards/drivers supported
- Support all types of OS and platforms
- New WEP attack: PTW
- Support for WEP dictionary attack
- Support for Fragmentation attack
- Improved tracking speed
Tell us what u think about this top 10 pentesting tools we highlighted for you above in the comment box.