Samsung Galaxy S8 is one of the 2017 flagship smartphones from Samsung and one of the most beautiful phones of the year. With its beautiful design, impressive camera, great hardware and incredible display, this phone gives other rival devices a run for their money.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Quick Specs & Features
- 5.8-inch Super AMOLED Display, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570ppi)
- Octa-core 10nm-class chipset (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- Bixby Intelligent Digital Assistant with dedicated launch button
- Android 7.0 (Nougat) with 4GB RAM
- 64GB Storage with support for memory card up to 256GB
- 12MP Rear Camera and 8MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Rear), Iris Scan, Face Unlock
- Gigabit LTE (up to 1024 Mbps download)
- 3000 mAh Battery with Fast Charging
Design and Display
Stunning. That adjective does not do enough justice to the beauty of the design of the Samsung Galaxy S8. It sports a gorgeous glass and metal design with the front and back covered with Corning Gorilla Glass 5. There is no home button, leaving more space for the screen. The front of the Samsung Galaxy S8 is almost all screen – and it’s this that really makes the S8 stand out.the display here melts into the sturdy metal rim.
The only drawback this beautiful device has is the placement of the fingerprint sensor. It is placed at the rear, next to the camera lens and flash. This makes for awkward unlocking of the device. I don’t know why they designed it that way and didn’t simply go with the “normal centre of the device ” placement.
Despite the 5.8″ size, the device still feels compact and great to hold and operate with one hand.
The volume rocker and standby switch are joined by a dedicated Bixby button on the side.
The S8 is thin and incredibly light at 155g, but it feels sturdy and precisely made. A microSD slot continues to sit tucked away with the nano-SIM, and the device is IP68 water- and dust-resistant too, so it will survive in water for 30 minutes to depths of 1.5 metres.
Samsung has also retained the headphone jack; unlike a certain California company (Apple).
Not only is the S8 one of the best-looking phones out there, but it has, in my opinion, the finest display too. A new aspect ratio of 18.5:9 means it’s taller, essentially giving you more space.
Like the majority of Samsung phones, the panel is AMOLED and has a slightly odd quad-HD+ 2960 x 1440 resolution. It’s also ‘Mobile HDR Premium’ certified, so you’ll be able to stream HDR (high dynamic range) shows from Amazon Prime and Netflix when those apps are updated.
Colours are gloriously vivid, but it manages to avoid oversaturating brighter shades while still displaying the deepest black.
Samsung Galaxy S8 maintains the single 12 megapixels camera on the back as the Samsung Galaxy S7. The rear camera still features Optical Image Stabilisation. On paper, the camera on the Samsung Galaxy s8 does not seem much different from that of the S7. However, in real life, there is an impressive gap in quality.There’s no dual-sensor system here, no wide-angle lens or variable aperture, but the photos achieved by the Galaxy S8 are truly stunning, and it’s a huge jump from the already excellent Galaxy S7.
The first thing you’ll notice about the camera is just how fast it is. A double-tap on the power key opens the camera quicker than any other phone, and focusing is equally snappy.
It’s a versatile camera too, whether you’re taking landscape shots or portraits in daytime or at night. The fantastic auto-HDR mode levels out exposure and contrast when there’s bright sunlight, leaving you with intensely colourful shots.
Detail is some of the best around too, even though there are phones with much higher megapixel counts.
Samsung Galaxy S8 sports an 8 megapixels camera with autofocus and HDR mode.
Under the beautiful body is a serious amount of power. Depending on where you stay Depending on your country, Samsung Galaxy S8 will either offer an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or an octa-core Samsung Exynos chipset with a 10mm production process. Both are the fastest and energy efficient CPUs out there
Samsung Galaxy S8 offers Gigabit LTE. This means the smartphone is future-proof with support for up to 1024 Mbps downloads speeds once operators build the network capacity.
The Android phone offers Bluetooth 5.0 meaning you can play music on 2 different Bluetooth speakers at the same time, USB Type C (USB 3.1), dual-band Wi-Fi, wireless charging, and NFC. Samsung Galaxy S8 features face unlock and an iris scanner for security.
Samsung Galaxy S8 is loaded with Android 7.0 (Nougat) with the usual Samsung UI skin and comes with Samsung’s answer to Apple’s Siri; Bixby. The digital assistant can perform tasks via voice command on your phone like editing photos or making a call. In truth, it is disappointing and feels like it was rushed, but there is no need to worry too much, if you don’t like it you can deactivate it.
Pricing and Availability
The premium smartphone is now available in Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya. You can now buy the Samsung Galaxy S8 at leading online stores in the countries. Samsung Galaxy S8 Price in Nigeria ranges from 200,000 Naira to 280,000 Naira depending on your location in Nigeria.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Specs
- Platform: Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Processor: US: Octa-core Processor: 2.35GHz quad-core and 1.9GHz quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 835), EMEA: Octa-core Processor: 2.3GHz quad-core and 1.7GHz quad-core (Samsung Exynos 8895 Octa)
- GPU: Adreno 540 (Qualcomm)
- Memory: 4GB RAM
- Colours: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Dimension: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm
- Weight: 155g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 5.8-inch Super AMOLED, 1440 x 2960 pixels (570 PPI), 18.5:9 Aspect Ratio
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 4K Ultra HD 2160p Video 1080p @30fps
- Rear Camera Features: Phase Detection Autofocus, LED flash, OIS, Auto HDR, Geo-tagging, Touch Focus, Face/Smile Detection, Panorama, Slo Motion, Hyperlapse
- Front Camera: 8MP Camera, autofocus, HDR
- Built-in Storage: 64GB
- Memory Card Support: Yes (requires SIM2 slot for dual-SIM models)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes, 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 17(700), 20(800), 28(700)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42.2 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 1024 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, USB Type C (USB 3.1)
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: –
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: Yes
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: Yes
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes (Rear)
- Iris Scanner: Yes
- Face Unlock: Yes
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes, Bixby, Google Now, etc
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: Yes (Qi/PMA)
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Samsung Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes, survives in up to 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-ion Battery (non-removable)
- Talktime: up to 20 hours
- Fast Charging: Yes
This phone is easily the best phone of 2017, and rivals even devices of 2018. The Samsung Galaxy S8 feels like the future.
What do you think about this device? Let us know in the comments section!