The Samsung Galaxy A8 is quite a remarkable device. As a midrange device, it is one of the most remarkable phablets you will come across. Here are some of the features of the device.
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) Quick Specs
- Display: 6 inches (75.6% screen-to-body ratio, 1080 x 1220 pixels, 441ppi)
- Software: Android 7.1.1 Nougat
- Processor: Exynos 7885 Octa
- Memory: 4GB RAM + 32GB/64GB ROM
- Camera: Front – Dual: 16MP + 8MP | Rear – 16MP
- Battery: 3000mAh Li-ion
Software, Design, and Display
The device comes with the Android 7.1.1 Nougat software. We all expected it to ship the Oreo android flavor, but Samsung decided otherwise. However, the device can receive OTA (over the air) updates, so you can upgrade your OS when the update is available.
The 5.6 inches of screen that is set at a resolution of 1080 x 1220 pixel is a huge selling point for this device. The screen has a pixel per inch density of 441 which makes it a top tier device with HD offerings. The 18:9 aspect ratio makes for even more incredible wide-screen viewing.
The Samsung Galaxy A8 is aesthetically pleasing. The curves in the design make for a good and comfortable grip.It has an IP68 rating thus it is both dust and water resistant. Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) can survive in a water depth of up to 1.5 meters, which is mighty impressive considering that it beats even that of the iPhone X.
Samsung opted for a front and back glass design that is framed in an aluminum body. Protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3 technology, the phone is reinforced against minor drops.
Memory and Performance
Under the hood, the Galaxy A8 packs an impressive punch with an in-house Exynos 7885 octa-core processor, featuring two 2.2GHz cores and six 1.6GHz cores, under the hood. Added to this impressive showing is the 4GB RAM tp handle most tasks thrown at the device.
For graphics, Samsung sourced the Mali-G71 unit for their Galaxy A8 (2018). Internal storage is either 32 GB or 64 GB. You can use one of the SIM slots to add another 256 GB using a microSD card.
The camera of the device is a major selling point. The front of the device is not just beautiful, but also comes with a dual camera setup. Rated at 16MP and 8MP with f/1.8 aperture, Samsung says this device not only has you covered for selfies, but also “wefies.”
On the rear, you will find a 16MP camera with an impressive f/1.7 aperture, phase detection autofocus (PDAF), and LED flash. It boasts 78-degree field of view and Full HD (1080p) video recording ability along with Geo-tagging, touch focus and shooting in both panorama and HDR mode.
Battery, Connectivity, and Security
The major and only turn-off ( In my opinion) is the 3000mAh non-removable battery, although Samsung promises talk time of up to 24 hours. Barring that downside, things look better with the inclusion of Bluetooth 5.0 technology, GPS and NFC functionality and a USB Type C connector system.
The Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) offers a fingerprint scanner on the rear.
Pricing and Availability
You can check the pricing and availability of the unit in your local brick-and-mortar and online stores. Generally, the Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) has been reported with price tags of between N183,750 – N210,000
Samsung Galaxy A8 (2018) Full Specifications
- Announced: 2017, December
- Available: Yes
- SIM: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by)
- Platform: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Price Range: N183,750 – N200,000
- Fingerprint: Fingerprint (rear-mounted)
- Technology: GSM/ HSPA/ LTE
BODY AND DISPLAY
- Type: Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen
- Size: 5.6 inches
- Resolution: 1080 x 2220 pixels
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- Features: Always-on display
- Dimensions: 149.2 x 70.6 x 8.4 mm
- Weight: 172 g
- Colours: Black, orchid grey, gold, blue
- Chipset: Exynos 7885 Octa
- Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
- CPU: Octa-core
- GPU: Mali-G71
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, WiFi Direct, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, EDR, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- USB: 2.0
- NFC: Yes
- FM Radio: FM radio
- RAM: 4 GB
- Internal Storage: 32/64 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 256 GB (dedicated slot)
- Rear Camera: 16 MP
- Rear Flash: Yes, LED flash
- Features: Geo-tagging, touch focus, face detection, panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 16 MP + 8 MP
- Front Flash: No
- Features: 1080p
- Capacity: 3000 mAh
- Type: Li-Ion
- Features: Non-removable
- Fast Charging: No
- Standby Time: N/A
- Talk Time: N/A
- Music Playback: N/A
- – HTML 5 Browser
- – Fast battery charging
– ANT+ support
– MP4/WMV/H.265 player
– MP3/WAV/WMA/eAAC+/FLAC player
– Photo/video editor
– Document viewer
The Samsung Galaxy A8 is a great budget alternative to the more high-end devices. Have you bought or used one yet? How great is the experience? Let us know in the comments section!