Sony PS4 Pro is the most powerful PlayStation console available today. Launched in 2016 alongside an updated version of the Sony PS4, the Sony PS4 Pro offers a more powerful processor, improved graphics performance, and support for 4K HDR.
Sony PS4 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 2.1GHz 8-core x86 64-bit AMD Jaguar Processor
- 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics
- 4K HDR Video Support
- 8GB GDDR5 RAM + 1GB VRAM
- 1TB HDD Storage (user replaceable)
- 1 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller Included
- Dual-band Wi-Fi
The PlayStation Pro has the slanted rectangular sides and similar design to the 4. It rejects the pointed edges of the PS 4, adopting the curved edges of the PS4 Slim. It has the sleek matte black finish of the Slim. Overall, the finish and design make for a sleek machine.
The Pro now has a physical ‘eject’ button instead of the former touch-sensitive one. The only downside to this and the ‘power’ button is how comically small there are. However, the Pro has the Square, Circle, Triangle and X symbols as the feet at the bottom of the console which, I must admit, is pretty cool.
The Pro is 11.6×2.1×12- inches big. It is also quite heavy at 7.2 pounds. Considering, however, that it is going to sit under my TV in my ‘man-cave’ most of the time, who really cares about the weight? It has 3 slates compared to the 2 in the PS Slim.
The Pro has more ports than previous versions. It has an extra USB 3.1 port at the back, which is great for PSVR headset users like myself. It features HDMI 2.0 port and an optical port which was removed from the PS Slim.
Performance and Gameplay
The real and most important features of the Pro are on the inside. It has a 4.20 Teraflop AMD Radeon graphics card. It features an 8-core AMD x86-64 Jaguar processor, with a clock speed of 2.1GHz. It features 8GB of DDR5 RAM and also has an extra gigabyte of DDR3 RAM which is cool because now I can have temporary saves of my games. The Pro also features 1TB hard drive which I replaced with my SATA hard drive.
There are 700+ game titles that are available on the Pro. However, not all of these games are optimized for the Pro. The fact is that the onus is on developers to take advantage of the extra graphical power of the Pro. Many of the games available, as a result of developers, play exactly the same and at the same resolution as the PS 4.
The Sony PS4 Pro is designed for outstanding graphics performance. To make this happen the console offers a more powerful processor and more graphics capacity. Though the Sony PS4 Pro features an octa-core AMD Jaguar processor like the other models, the cores are clocked at up to 2.1GHz compared to 1.6GHz with the other models.
The Sony PS4 Pro also offers more than twice the graphics performance with an AMD Radeon graphics processor that can crunch an impressive 4.2 TFLOPS. The high-performance gaming console also offer improved gaming performance by dedicating more of the memory to gaming.
You do not have to worry about playing older PS4 games as the console supports old and new PS4 games. You can also play games online on the PlayStation Plus community.
The Sony PS4 Pro comes with one Dualshock 4 wireless controller in the box. If you want more wireless controllers, you will have to buy it separately. For a more engaging gaming experience, you may also consider buying a PlayStation Camera. This one does not come in the box.
The PlayStation Camera offers two cameras, which offer 3D depth sensing. They can also be used to broadcast games. The PlayStation Camera is a must if you want to play with the PlayStation VR.
Games Optimised for Sony PS4 Pro
Not every game will benefit from the improved graphics of the Sony PS4 Pro. For a game to benefit from the enhanced features, it has to support Pro Mode, which will be clearly written on the package.
Some of the best games for the Sony PS4 Pro include Battlefield 1, Battlezone, Bound, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered, Dishonored 2, Driveclub VR, EA Sports FIFA 17, and Firewatch.
Others include Helldivers, Hitman, Hustle Kings, inFAMOUS First Light, inFAMOUS Second Son, Knack, Mafia III, and Mantis Burn Racing.
Here some games optimised for the Sony PS4 Pro:
• Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
• NBA 2K17
• RIGS Mechanized Combat League
• Rise Of The Tomb Raider
• The Elders Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
• The Elders Scrolls: Skyrim Special Edition
• Super Stardust Ultra
• The Last Of Us Remastered
• Titanfall 2
• XCOM 2
Pricing and Availability
Sony PS4 Pro is available in Nigeria. You can buy the high-performance gaming console at leading online stores in the country. Sony PS4 Pro price in Nigeria ranges from 160,000 Naira to 300,000 Naira.
Sony PS4 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Sony PS4 Pro Consoles:
- Status: Available, since 2016
- Platform: PlayStation
- Processor: 2.1GHz 8-core x86 64-bit Processor (AMD Jaguar)
- GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon Graphics
- Memory: 8GB GDDR5 RAM + 1GB VRAM
- Colours: Black
- Dimension: 32.7 x 29.5 x 5.5 cm
- Weight: 3.3 kg
- Built-in Storage: 1TB HDD (user replaceable)
- Optical Storage: Yes, DVD/Blu-Ray Player (does not support ultra HD Blu-ray discs)
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Camera: No, but you can Buy PlayStation Camera separately
- USB Port: Yes, 3 USB 3.1 ports
- HDMI Port: Yes, 1 HDMI port (supports 4K HDR)
- Ethernet (RJ-45): Yes, 1 port (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
- Headphone Jack: Yes
- VGA: No
- Digital Output (Optical): Yes
- Microphone: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.0, LE
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Voltage: 110 – 220V
- Frequency: 50Hz / 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 330W (Max)
- Name: Dualshock 4
- Available in the Box: Yes, 1 Dualshock 4 (Buy additional controllers separately)
- Motion Sensors: Yes, Six-Axis Accelerometer/Gyroscope
- Features: Share Button, Dual analog sticks, Precision Controls, Trigger buttons, Multiple Vibration Motors for Feedback, Built-in Speaker, 3.5mm Audio Jack, Light Bar Feedback, microUSB port for charging
Motion Tracking Device
- Name: PlayStation Camera
- Available in the Box: No (Buy Separately), may come with the console in a special bundle
- Gesture/Motion Tracking: Yes, Head Tracking and Gesture Tracking with 3D-depth sensing
- Camera: Yes, Two Cameras each with 1280 x 800 pixels video capture
- Voice Command: Yes
- Face Recognition: Yes
- More Features: Hand-free Navigation, picture-in-picture video of yourself during gameplay broadcast, HD Video and Voice chat, 85° Field of Vision, 4 Channel Microphone Array, 30cm capture range, required with PlayStation VR
The PS 4 Pro is a great console with VR benefits, rendering quality and overall frame-rate consistency. However, for PS 4 owners, wait till you have a 4k res TV before upgrading. For newbies, I highly recommend this console, it might be a tad more expensive, but in a few years to come it will be totally worth it. What do you think about the console
Let us know in the comments!