Nintendo Switch is a new hybrid gaming device can be a handheld gaming device, a table-top gaming device, or a stand-alone gaming console for playing on your full HD TV. It is not a powerhouse like the Xbox or Playstations, but offers portability.
Nintendo Switch Quick Specs & Features
- NVIDIA Custom Tegra Processor
- 6.2-inch LCD Touch Display, 1280 x 720 pixels
- Full HD Video Support
- 2 x Joy-Con Wireless Controllers Included
- 32GB microSD card Included, supports 2TB
- Motion Tracking via IR Camera
- 4310 mAh Li-ion Battery
- Dual-band Wi-Fi
Nintendo Switch enables you to ‘switch’ between gaming modes. In its most basic form, the Nintendo Switch is a tablet with a 6.2-inch LCD touchscreen with 1280 x 720 pixels resolution.
Then you have the two wireless controllers (called Joy-Con controllers), which you can use to play wirelessly or attached to either the console or Joy-Con grip depending on the gaming mode.
To use the Nintendo Switch as a handheld gaming console like the Sony PlayStation Vita, you attach the two Joy-Con controllers to the left and right edges of the console tablet. One to each end.
Once this is done, you can play your games on the move without any limitation except of course for the battery. However, if there is a power point nearby, you can plug-in the console while you play for extended game-play.
You can also use the Nintendo Switch in table-top mode. In this mode you stand the console on the table or any flat surface and you support it using the kickstand attached to the back of the console.
Do not worry, the Nintendo Switch comes with all the accessories included in the box. So, you do not need to buy any accessory to get started.
The dock has an HDMI port which you use to connect the console to your TV. Nintendo Switch can deliver full HD content to your TV.
As for the Joy-Con wireless controllers, you use them the same way they were used in the tabletop mode. You either use them individually with the Joy-Con strap or you use them together with the Joy-Con grip. Again, all the accessories are included in the box. So, you have all you need to get started.
However, if you want a full-fledged wireless controller that truly competes with the wireless controllers of consoles like the XBox One or PS4, you should buy the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
Transition between modes is also seamless. You could be playing in handheld mode and you can switch to standalone console mode simply by attaching the Nintendo Switch to the dock.
Nintendo Switch is not competing on graphics capacity with powerful consoles like the Sony PS4 Pro or the XBox One S. Its power is its versatility and flexibility. You are not tied down to playing in front of your TV. You can play while on the move.
Nintendo Switch is powered by a custom NVIDIA Tegra processor. The processor offers enough juice to make things run smoothly whether you are playing in handheld mode at 720p HD on the console screen or playing in standalone console mode at full HD on your TV.
Nintendo Switch offers a game card slot that will enable you slot-in game cards, though you will not be able to use game cards of older Nintendo consoles like the Nintendo Wii U. You can also download games into a microSD card. The Nintendo Switch also has a dedicated slot for microSD slots for storing downloaded games.
It comes with a 32GB microSD memory card included, but can support up to 2TB microSD memory card if you can find one. Nintendo Switch delivers stereo audio via the speakers or headphones. When attached to the dock, the console can deliver 5.1 surround sound to the TV.
Nintendo Switch comes with a 4310 mAh battery, which can support between 2.5 hours to 6.5 hours of gameplay depending on the game. According to Nintendo, the console can play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for about 3 hours when fully charged.
However, because of the configuration, it is difficult to connect the console to a power point in table-top mode because facing down the power connector is blocked by the surface of the table.
The Joy-Con controllers came with their built-in batteries and can last for up to 20 hours once fully charged.
Pricing and Availability
You can buy the gaming console at leading online stores in your country. Nintendo Switch price in Nigeria ranges from 167,000 Naira to 300,000 Naira. In Kenya, price starts at 65,000 KSh.
Nintendo Switch Specs
- Platform: Nintendo
- Display: 6.2-inch LCD Touch Display, 1280 x 720 pixels
- Processor: NVIDIA Custom Tegra Processor
- GPU: –
- Memory: –
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, and Brightness Sensor
- Colours: Red, White, Blue, Pink, Green, Purple, Grey,
- Dimension: 23.9 x 10.2 x 1.4 cm
- Weight: 300 g, 400 g (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
- Built-in Storage: supports up to 2TB memory card (32GB included),
- Game Card Slot: Yes
- Optical Storage: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
Ports & Connectivity
- Camera: No, but the right Joy-Con controller offers an IR motion camera
- USB Port: Yes, 2 USB 2.0 ports (via Dock)
- HDMI Port: Yes, 1 HDMI port (via Dock), Full HD video and 5.1 surround sound
- Ethernet (RJ-45): adapter sold separately
- Headphone/Mic Jack: Yes
- VGA: No
- Digital Output (Optical): No
- Microphone: –
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.1
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Voltage: 110 – 220V
- Frequency: 50Hz / 60Hz
- Power Consumption: –
- Battery: 4310 mAh Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life: 2.5 hours to 6.5 hours
- Name: Joy-Con Wireless Controller
- Available in the Box: Yes, 2 Joy-Con Wireless Controller (Buy additional Joy-Con controllers or Switch Pro Wireless controller separately)
- Motion Sensors: Accelerometer, Gyroscope (both controllers), Motion IR Camera (right controller only)
- Features: D-Pad, Precision Controls, HD Rumble, Bluetooth 3.0 (both controllers), NFC (right controller only)
Motion Tracking Device
- Name: Right Joy-Con Wireless Controller (via built-in IR camera)
- Available in the Box: –
- Gesture/Motion Tracking: Yes, Gesture Tracking
- Camera: Yes, Infrared Camera
- Voice Command: No
- Face Recognition: No
- More Features: –
Are you excited about this device from Nintendo? What are your thoughts about it? Feel free to share in the comments section!