Apple iPhone 7 is the 2016 refresh of the iPhone 6. This iPhone offers upgrades to the iPhone 6S including a new home button, a better camera, a faster processor, improved battery life, and water resistance. iPhone 7 drops the 16GB storage option with the base model starting with 32GB built-in storage.
iPhone 7 Quick Specs & Features
- 4.7-inch IPS Touch Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi)
- Apple A10 Fusion Chipset with 2GB RAM
- iOS 10
- Water Resistant & Dustproof
- 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB Built-in Storage
- 12MP Rear Camera and 7MP Front Camera
- 4G LTE (up to 450 Mbps download)
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front)
- 1960 mAh Li-ion Battery
The USP of this device is water resistance, and the break away from the conventional headphone jack, with Apple favoring wireless earphones. The iPhone 7, however, offers an adapter that allows you connect a traditional earphone to the smartphone via the lightning port.
Featuring the same size as the iPhone 6S , the iPhone 7 comes with a similar design as the iPhone 6S. The only noticeable difference in design is the lack of a headphone jack. Also, Space Grey has also been dropped as a color option.
In its place, Apple is introducing two new colours: Jet Black and Black. This two colours will join the existing Silver, Gold, and Rose Gold options. Apple has also added red as a colour option for the iPhone 7.
This iPhone is the first iPhone to offer water resistance. iPhone 7 can survive in up to 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes. The home button has been improved to offer taptic feedback.
On paper, the iPhone 7 seems to be offering the same screen as the iPhone 6S. It is essentially a 4.7-inch IPS Display with 750 x 1334 pixels resolution and 3D Touch.
However, Apple is claiming it is 25% brighter, which should result in better outdoor viewing.
The iPhone 7 is offering some camera upgrades. On paper, the phone still offers a 12 megapixels sensor as the iPhone 6S. However, the 12 megapixels sensor on the iPhone 7 is a completely new sensor that is faster and more energy efficient.
The new smartphone also comes with a larger f/1.8 aperture that allows up to 50% more light on the camera sensor than the 6S. It also offers a 6-element lens system and introduces Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS), both of which should result in better quality photos.
iPhone 7 is also getting an upgrade in the front camera. The FaceTime camera is getting an upgrade from 5 megapixels to 7 megapixels. The front camera still retains the Retina Flash, which using the screen brightness as flash.
Hardware & Software
The iPhone 7 comes with a more powerful A10 Fusion chip with a quad-core processor. For graphics, it sports a hexa-core graphics processor. It sports a 2GB RAM.
iPhone 7 runs on iOS 10 out of the box and is available with 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB built-in storage.
Pricing and Availability
The iPhone 7 is currently available in Nigeria, Kenya, or Ghana at Jumia, a leading online store in Africa. iPhone 7 Price in Nigeria ranges from 241,000 Naira to 490,000 Naira, depending on your location and built-in storage.
Apple iPhone 7 Specs
- Platform: iOS 10
- Processor: Apple A10 Fusion
- GPU: 6-core Graphics
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Colours: Black, Jet Black, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold
- Dimension: 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm
- Weight: 138 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- Display: 4.7-inch IPS Touch Display, 750 x 1334 pixels (326 ppi)
- Screen Protection: Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
- Rear Camera: 12MP Camera, 2160p HD Video
- Rear Camera Features: phase detection autofocus, quad-LED (dual tone) flash, Geo-tagging, simultaneous 4K video and 8MP image recording, touch focus, face/smile detection, HDR (photo/panorama), OIS
- Front Camera: 7MP Camera, 1080p HD Video
- Built-in Storage: 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: Yes
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: Yes
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 450 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP, LE
- NFC: Yes, (Apply Pay only)
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: Yes USB 2.0, Reversible Connector
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: No (supports a lightning connector to 3.5mm jack adapter or wireless AirPods)
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Apple Maps
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: No
- Barometer: Yes
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: Yes, Apple Pay
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP67 (Water resistant in up to 1 meter or water for up to 30 minutes)
- Dust Resistant: Yes
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: No
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: 2900 Li-ion Battery
- Talktime: up to 14 hours (3G)
- Standby Time: up to 240 hours (3G)
The iPhone 7 is legitimately among the most interesting, opinionated, powerful phone Apple has ever shipped, and the most confident expressions of the company’s vision in a long time. iOS 10 is excellent, the cameras are better, and the performance is phenomenal. And the batteries last longer. These are terrific phones.
What are your thoughts on this phone? Let us know in the comments!